I worked on my word wall today. Click on any of the thumbnails in this post to see a bigger picture. It is truly a conglomeration now of music and movement words! I started last year with alphabetizing my list of music words and using wet erase markers to write them on the glass of my three big windows separating my two rooms.
That worked like a charm and instead of washing it off and re-doing it this year, I left it up. Movement this year will be incorporated into my music classes in the true Orff fashion, so I moved the big posters (The Elements and Concepts of Dance) I had in the gym last year to the wall in the music room and that set off my adventures in creating the movement words to add to the wall too.
Dillemmas: Not using so much adhesive (velcro has been my tool of choice in the past, but takes the paint off!), legibility (I wasn’t too happy with the handwriting I hastily did on the posters), and of course time and energy to make all this and put it up. I decided to print the cards using an online flashcard maker. Printed the 245 words and categories (Locomotor, Non-Locomotor, Face, Hands, Arms, Feet and Legs) on bright cardstock, then stapled them on long strips of ribbon. Some words I decided did not fit in a category so I left them separate and randomly stuck them on the wall. Decided against laminating because the light would reflect off each one creating a glare. Also, I would have to sneak in to use the laminator since we are forbidden to use it this year due to rising costs of film and the time it would take to cut all those out would double my workload. (I had about 4 hours today) Most of the words fit on the ribbon I had leftover from scrapbooking supplies and the rest of the words I used sticky-tac to put near the strips. I’m pleased with the resulting wall and hope the kids and I can use it this year! Looking specifically for activities now that I can QUICKLY incorporate the wall into my daily lessons. Feel free to leave a comment with your suggestions if you have any!